Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Deer!

Sometimes you can't win for losing. Now I haven't seen the deer myself or any indication there have been deer in the gardens but my neighbour three doors down has some really nice pictures of deer in his back yard. I'm not really sure what to do. I've been fighting the wild rabbits and think I have them under control. I sat in the garden until dark and saw no signs of deer then spred more mothballs around the perimeter and the garden pathways as well as turned the motion activated sprayer up to full tilt. I fear that if deer are in the immediate area, I might just as well shut down the gardens. I'm not sure how else to deal with it. We would need at least a 6' fence and I honestly think if we decided to fence we would add some type of topper to keep all the larger animals out.

So far the garden looks good. There is no sign of any type of damage from any animals although we know something larger was in the garden a couple of nights ago. A larger bucket was overturned the next morning. It was large enough that a squirrel or even large bird could not have done it and I doubt even a rabbit but could be. I'm going to try a radio playing in the greenhouse along with the mothballs and the motion activated sprayer. Time will tell if I'm sucessful.

Garden Gnome


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.