Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Attack of the Monster Zucchini

The zucchini plants have decided to take over the garden. There is a little competion from the tomatoes and beans but so far the zucchini are winning.

Zucchini Plants

I have five zucchini plants this year. I'm averaging three to four zucchini ranging in size from six to eight inches daily. We eat a lot of zucchini! The two zucchini plants in bed #5 are smaller than those in this picture of bed #7. Bed #5 receives more shade. Bed #7 also has yellow marigolds planted around the perimeter. The front four squares are planted with cucumbers. They really need to be staked but with the zucchini crowding them, I might just let the cucumbers wander a bit. For the most part the zucchini plants are quite healthy. There has been some damage by a Japanese beetle on a couple of the leaves. I'm taking active but natural control of this insect. So far I have only found two, one on the zucchini and one on a stand of wildflowers. Both insects were destroyed and I'm keeping a close eye on all the garden beds.


Zucchini

The zucchini are such beauties! Finding ways to use them is never a problem. Four from this stack were dried for zucchini chips. The chips are a nice low fat alternative to potato chips as they aren't fried. One was used for a quick steak and potato left-over stir fry. I will freeze shredded zucchini and we will eat a lot sauteed with mushrooms and onions or grilled. I like adding shredded zucchini to meatloaf. Other plans for using up the zucchini besides giving some away are: zucchini bread, zucchini muffins and a large batch of tomato zucchini sauce. A good friend gifted us with a very large bag of fresh caught perch so I gave him four zucchini in return. Tonight's dinner will be fresh perch and our favourite zucchini saute mix.


Monday's Basket of Goodies

I was pleased to see the bush beans ready for picking on Monday. Last year they did not do well especially the Royal Burgundy. This year the bush beans are performing nicely with a little over a quart a day. I'm really pleased with the performance of the Slederette bush beans so will plant them again next year. The Royal Burgundy are grown more for novelty not freezing or canning. The yellow wax beans are a little behind but have picked up the pace. The tomatoes are just starting to ripen on the outside vines. The vines all look healthy as does the fruit. I really think the trick is the epsom salt! My mouth is watering just thinking of the first toasted tomato sandwich of the season.

Beans

Slenderette beans are a nice tender bean averaging six to seven inches long. I like picking them young to ensure a tender bean especially when freezing. The Royal Burgundy are a smaller bean but quite tasty. The pale pinky lavender blooms give rise to deep purple beans. They tend to get noticed and commented on a lot by garden visitors who have never seen them.

Happy Gardening

Garden Gnome


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.