Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Wild Violets


I thought I would share this picture taken last spring. I used it for an animation project on one of my Yahoo groups. It is animated but for some reason the animation gets stripped when uploaded to my blog. Aside of the animation, this picture was a bit more challenging as I played with the filters in Photoshop and used several layers.

I find wild violets (family - Viola) delightful! We are blessed to have an abundance of purple wild violets and Johnny Jump-ups (Viola cornuta) so I was surprised when searching for the scientific name to write this entry to find wild violets classified as weeds. I don't see them as weeds and they are welcomed in my garden. They bring back fond childhood memories, brighten my day, brighten shady areas in the garden and attract beneficial insects. Besides since they are wildflowers, they cost nothing and are suited to our area. The best thing is I don't have to nothing more than enjoy them! If violets appear in your dreams it is said that a fortune is in your future. I'm not sure if that holds true but then I don't recall ever dreaming of violets.

Garden Gnome
© 2007


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.