Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hibiscus

hibiscus
Hibiscus
July 25, 2011

I really have a rubber arm when it comes to plants.  I was in WalMart (Canada) a couple of days ago when a plant sale caught my eye.  Three foot tall hibiscus were on sale for $5.  Now that is a wonderful price so I bought two.  I wanted them as container plants on each side of our front door.  Since our house is on the market I have been focusing on container gardening this year as all the containers will move with us.  We do have an active offer so if it goes the way we want it too we could be moving on August 25.  Anyway, back to the hibiscus.

I popped the plants into larger display pots, cut a tag off, watered them then came in.  Hibiscus prefers a bright location but according to the tag it says to never allow them to get below 50ºF.  So obviously I am not going to be able to plant these trees in the ground even at our new house.  One of the hibiscus is slated to go to my husband's office.  It is a wonderfully bright area with excellent morning sun exposure so I'm sure the hibiscus will thrive there nicely.  The other one will be outside on our deck at the new house but brought inside when temperatures drop below 50ºF.  The new house is so bright, light and airy so I am looking forward to re-establishing my indoor gardens as well. 

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011


1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful flower indeed, GG. Good luck with the move and the sale!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.