Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Friday, June 01, 2007

Lemon Balm

Update: We have sold our house and will be moving in 27 days so my gardens aside of maintenance are on hold. I am taking plants I started here from plants I know I will want at the new house especially herbs and strawberries. There should be time for a late garden after we move. The gardens there are mainly floral, trees and shrubs in a mature landscape. Some of that will need to be cleaned out. One portion is lovingly referred to as the Garden of Eden by the seller so I can't wait to see everything she has planted in there. The next few posts will highlight some of the plants I'm taking with me.


Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
May 31, 2007

Lemon balm is one herb that I will be taking with me. This wonderful herb is a lemon scented member of the mint family. Be warned before planting it, that as with other mints, lemon balm is invasive so should be contained unless you want it everywhere. It would make a lovely ground cover for problem areas, rewarding you with a pleasant lemony aroma when trimmed back. Despite the invasiveness of lemon balm, this is one beneficial herb that can be used for culinary uses or medicinally.

Lemon balm almost thrives on neglect. It spreads and spreads and spreads. I'm rather brutal in trimming back this herb. The sprigs don't go to waste though. I use them either dried or fresh. Sprigs of lemon balm are nice in iced teas or as garnishes for salads. Fresh sprigs can be chopped and stirred into fresh (unsalted) butter with a little lemon zest. Use this to baste fish especially salmon when grilling for a delectable delight. Lemon balm tea can be made from either fresh or dried leaves. The tea has mild sedative properties and can be used to relieve gas much like other mints. It can help reduce a fever but can increase perspiration.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2007


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.