Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Orange Tree

orange tree
Orange Tree
September 18, 2010

Apparently the oranges are so plentiful here that people put boxes of them to the road hoping someone will take them.  Pictured is one of our neighbour's orange tree.  They said to help ourselves when the fruit is ready for picking.  We rented in the park our first trip here that was meant to purchase a house in the park that we had seen online.  We decided against that house but looked at several others, got to know the park and basically enjoyed ourselves.  That trip we enjoyed a lot of fresh picked oranges and let me tell you they taste so much better than store bought!  Now that we bought here I want to plant an orange tree.

One neighbour told us that the orange trees can be problematic and they are higher maintenance trees.  Leaf drop seems to be an issue for some gardeners.  My husband thinks I should just take advantage of all the free fruit rather than try growing an orange tree but the challenge sounds fun.  I plan on visiting a few nurseries in the area of our vacation home where I look for a nice, healthy tree as well as get advice for growing it.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.