Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Weather Has Changed

My gosh!  I think 2010 is going to go down in history as the worst gardening season ever.  I'm not kidding and in some ways it is a bit frustrating but in other ways it just makes me dig in my heels a bit harder and fight back.  Despite the local predictions of a dry spring we had a wet, cool spring.  Then we were hit with high heat and humidity for July and August but very little rainfall.  To put things in perspective since we moved here in 2007 we have averaged using the AC five days each summer.  This summer it was on for a good fourteen days!  Our peaksaver® was triggered twice which is more than they predicted when we signed up for the program.  The downside to the high heat and humidity was rather violent weather all around us to the point there were many days we couldn't take the boat out due to active weather in the area even though we didn't a drop of rain.  Everyone was hoping the heatwave would lift while the farmers were begging for rain.  Overnight the temperatures plummeted to the point of needing a jacket while the winds picked up and the rains started. 

Many are saying the rain came a little too late.  While the abrupt weather change has been a tad rude it has made for nice canning weather.  The gardens are starting to wind down.  I am not putting in a fall garden this year but will be working on my continuous indoor harvest.  I'm in the process of taking tomato clippings to grow indoors.  So far blight has not hit the tomato plants and they still look fairly healthy but it is only a matter of time.  Our ADFF is quickly approaching.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


1 comment:

  1. I put in a bit of lettuce for my fall garden but that's it (they were leftover seeds from this spring) I still have some tomatoes on the vines that need rippening but otherwise my garden is pretty much done. I had a bumper crop of cucumber and zucchini this year but my pumpkins and tomatoes were pretty much a bust. Hopefully next summer will be better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.