Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Friday, November 05, 2010

The 2010 Growing Season Recap

Oh my gosh what a year 2010 has been!  Our house has been on the market for most of the year which cramped the intended garden expansion yet I did get two new smaller raised beds put in.  We also managed to get some grass reseeded to clean up a couple of problem areas for any house viewings.  The main battle this year was the weather.  Late winter was considerably drier which affected ground conditions.  Spring was cooler and wetter than predicted.  The raised beds were planted a bit later as we were on vacation in May.  The summer blessed with heat and more heat but not much in the way of moisture.  Then we were gone half of September and part of October so I did miss some of my harvest.  Despite all of this the gardens were rather productive!

  • lettuces - a small crop
  • radishes - a small crop
  • onions - few and far between
  • peppers - a bumper year, one of the best I've ever had especially for the sweets but the hots did amazing well too
  • tomatoes - best performer this year was Brandywine followed by a commercial variety and sweet millions; Tiny Tims did not perform well
  • cucumber - very impressive performance by Marketmore, very poor performance by pickling cucumbers
  • strawberries - poor performace but the plants are new
  • horseradish - lost one plant, other one still struggling along indoors
  • rhubarb - lost the plant
  • herbs - excellent performance except for pesto basil with both plants dying

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


4 comments:

  1. can't wait until I have a full blown garden either. good luck with your house, someone will come and love it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) The market has softened a little so we are going to need a bit of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the end of the season recap on your garden. I have been curious how other people's gardens fared in other locations. I did a recap on our garden last month, and right now we still have carrots, kohlrabi and green peppers in the ground. I have a feeling the peppers are not going to be there much longer though since they aren't producing anything. Time to throw them in the yard waste for recycle. I know the housing market is really a challenge right now, so I hope you can get your place sold soon. I'll cross my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol :) You are quite welcome. It was interesting doing the recap. It's nice to see your garden is still producing as well.

    I hope we can sell quickly as well so as to not have to move in the nasty weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.