Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Monday, November 08, 2010

Nixing the Seed Catalogues

Every year about this time after the main gardening season is over, I take a bit of time to go my notes of what plants did well and new varieties that I would like to try the following year.  Then I set about ordering seed catalogues that usually arrive in the coldest part of the winter so they are a cheery sight!  I keep seed catalogues as garden reference material so they tend to add up a bit.  This year I decided not to place my annual seed catalogue orders.  All of these catalogues are available online with just as much information if not more and the catalogues are searchable.  I will miss the brightly coloured seed catalogues arriving in the midst of winter but I think using the online catalogues is the eco-friendly choice.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


2 comments:

  1. aha...but doncha know you can use them as Mulch in the garden? :) They are so nice to thumb through. I'd go stir crazy if I could not read my garden catalogs. i take them to work with me and read them on break even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True you can use them for mulch but I think not getting them is the eco-friendly thing to do. I can view them on line with my iPod touch when away from home :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.