Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Friday, January 12, 2007

When to plant?

This question comes up over and over and with our changing climate it is still a hard question to answer. When I was younger everyone aimed to have their gardens planted on the Victoria Day Weekend (May 24). However, things have changed as far as when to plant. I follow the Average Day of Last Frost (ADLF) for our location and plant according to that. Last year the ADLF was May 9. One month before the ADLF I planted lettuces, onions, peas, radishes and spinach. Two weeks before the ADLF I planted beets, carrots, swiss chard and potatoes. On the ADLF beans, tomatoes, ground cherries and sunflowers were planted. Two weeks after the ADLF I planted cucumbers, melons, zucchini and peppers. Ok, so this likely sounds a little complicated however it really isn't.

The whole concept of staggered planting and continuous plantings makes common sense for managing square foot gardening. The square are contantly being harvested and replanted as the method calls for and that is because you are only working with a square foot at a time. Staggered planting allows you to get an early start on those vegetables that tolerate the cold well which can be achieved in any garden but with raised beds, you can get an even earlier start since the soil warms faster. But one thing I like about staggered and continuous plantings is the work is not done all at once. It helps to keep your interest without the gardening feeling like work.

Happy Gardening

Garden Gnome
© 2007


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.