Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Monday, March 28, 2011

Winter is Hanging On

It is officially spring here but no one told Mother Nature.  We still have snow on the ground, icicles hanging from the eves and despite the beautiful sunshine the temperatures remain quite cold.  Winter is refusing to release it's chilly grip in our little corner of the world.  I'm sitting here sipping a lovely cup of hot tea pondering whether to start a couple of trays of seeds today.  My husband already booked our spring vacation so that is weighing heavily on my decision to start seeds.  Last year I lost some of my seedlings during our vacation because they accidently dried out when the kids were housesitting.  During the spring vacation our house only needs checking on a couple of times a week but seedlings need watering daily.  What I may do is start the seeds then take the trays into the kids to look after at their house.  Since they will be home daily there is less chance of the seedlings drying out than if I leave them here.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011


1 comment:

  1. Winter is hanging on here too. Crocus are trying their best to hold up their beauty but late night frost makes the flowers last a lot less longer than normal. Eventually Mother Nature will get the hint and let spring truly come and play.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.