Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Bulb Naturalization

Years ago we had the wonderful opportunity to visit Parliament Hill during the spring when the crocuses were in bloom.  There were masses of them.  I immediately fell in love with the look vowing at some point to duplicate it at our home.  That was five houses ago and I still have not done this so it will be priority this fall at our new house.  Essentially what you do is grab a handful of crocus bulbs then toss with an upward motion over your lawn.  Wherever the bulb falls is where it is planted.  You can add as many bulbs as you wish knowing the bulbs will naturalize over time resulting in a thicker carpet of crocuses.

Any spring bulb can be used in this fashion but crocuses in particular lend themselves nicely to this application.  The blooms are spent but the foliage is able to get the necessary nutrients before the lawn needs trimming.  The foliage is shorter as well so as to not make the lawn look too untidy before the first trimming and it simply dies back without yellowing.  I can hardly wait to see what my new carpet of crocuses will look like!

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011