Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Brandywine Tomatoes in Containers

brandywine tomatoes in containers
Brandywine Tomatoes in Containers
August 12, 2010

Traditionally I have to work at growing tomatoes in containers.  I think it is more luck in picking the right variety though.  This year I have brandywines in two 5 gal containers.  In comparison to the brandywine tomatoes planted in the raised beds the vines in the containers are considerably smaller but they still seem to be producing rather well.  It has been an off year for tomatoes here due to extended periods of high heat that affect the ripening process. 

The reality is unless growing indoors you can't control the weather.  All my tomato vines are looking very healthy so I'm just now starting to take a few clippings for growing indoors.  I'm still haven't identified what is eating some of my tomato vines although I suspect the tomato hornworm BUT there has been no other signs including the tell tale droppings.  'Tis a mystery for now.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome ©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.