Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lack of Rain

Monday we got a much welcomed break in the high heat and humidity.  Thunderstorms were all around us and we had a tornado warning yet got pretty much nothing as far as rainfall.  Tuesday the weather radar looked down right ugly all day to the point we cancelled going out on the boat.  We didn't get so much as a drop of rain!  This morning we saw just enough rain to dampen if that a few leaves on the trees.  It looked so promising and yet nothing.  I have to admit I was quite disappointed.  Our neighbour's lawn is completely brown.  Our's is fairing a bit better because of the heavy shade.   I've been watering the vegetable gardens every other day just to keep them healthy. 

The problem with this type of weather is the storms are there but they skipping over us.  It makes little sense to water if it is going to rain and by looking at the radar there is such a good chance for rain there is no point watering.  Yet the storms skip over and the gardens need it.  We could really do with a couple of ground soaking, all day but gentle rains!

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


3 comments:

  1. Totally agree. I did a bit of a 'forget about' it soaking of my gardens. Seemed to help out my lagging veggies. I will have to do another soaking tomorrow if the forcasted rain doesn't materialize. Although the good thing about the cooler weather is my tomatoes are finally ripening. Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Super Mom and thanks for visiting. It has been bad here for rain this summer yet we got more than called for in the spring. I hope the fall is a bit better. It's good to see the tomatoes ripening isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thunder over my head right now. I will say a prayer that you get some rain. I know how frustrating it can be to have rain 20 miles away and get nothing. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.