Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Brandywine Tomatoes Progress

brandywine tomatoes
Brandywine Tomatoes
August 3, 2010

The brandywine tomato vines are healthy looking and laden with tomatoes.  So far there have been no ripe ones to pick but that is to be expected with the recent weather.  At temperatures of 85ºF of which we have had an extended period of time the ripening process for tomatoes stops.  The lycopene and carotene that gives the beautiful red colouration isn't produced so the tomatoes take on a yellowish green colour.  Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about this problem other than wait for the temperatures to come back down to normal where ripening will resume.  This really has been a year of battling the weather.  I'm hoping things will settle down for a good crop in the fall!

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.