Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Monday, May 03, 2010

How to Plant Strawberries in a Raised Bed Garden

I grow strawberries in hanging and vertical containers as well as in raised beds.  We also have a few rogue strawberries growing on our property.  Planting strawberries is as easy as planting any other vegetable plant in your edible garden.  Here is a short video showing the technique.  Following the video are my comments on the video. 




In general I prefer to not use peat pots in my garden beds because they are not as eco-friendly as once thought.  Strawberries actually prefer to be a bit on the crowded side so when planting space them a bit closer together.  My last strawberry bed was 4' x 8' crammed one end to the other with strawberry plants and then overflowing onto the garden paths.  It started with 4 strawberry plants I brought from the last house then planted in that bed taking less than 2 years to fill the bed.  Strawberries are sun not shade loving plants but I still got a fairly decent yield in partially shaded conditions. 

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.