Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Three Plant Purchases

Strawberries, Grapes & Tomato
May 8, 2010

I love plant shopping anytime but in the spring it is even more exciting!  I seriously will shop for plants wherever I can find them ranging from the big box stores like Canadian Tire to specialized plant nurseries to farm stands.  I stopped at Canadian Tire to see what they had in stock knowing full well it is really to early to get much in the ground as far as plants.  I bought a grape vine (Valiant) so that should be interesting.  It has been years since I've had a grape vine and if I recall correctly the grapes were white and sour but the birds loved them.  I bought June bearing strawberries (Veestar).  There are some strawberries here that have somewhat naturalized but I'm not sure what the variety and there are a few volunteer strawberry plants from last year's everbearing hanging basket.  I plant a bed with the new strawberries so I'm sure what I have while enjoying the volunteers.  Despite having a lot of tomatoe plants in various stages from seedlings to ready to fruit, I could not resist another tomato plant so bought a Beefsteak.  When it comes to tomatoes I focus on beefsteak, cherry and heirloom varieties because I have all the canning tomatoes (paste) I can use for free so I save the garden space for those tomatoes I don't get free.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.