Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Saturday, May 22, 2010

In the Garden And How I Plant Tomatoes

Our ADLF has past so thought have turned to planting the garden beds.  Ideally cold loving plants such as chards and lettuces are planted 2 weeks before ADLF but my beds will be planted a bit late this year but well within the time frame for a good harvest.  I will be planting tomatoes on the May 24 weekend.  According to gardening legend here gardens need to be planted by May 24 for corn to be knee high by July 1.  So as long as my garden is planted by May 24 I'm a happy gardener.

In the meantime this is a good time to work compost and other soil amendments into the soil and prep the beds for planting.  It is also a good time for me to prep the beds with the square foot grid.  This year rather than using yarn I'm using gardening twine.

I plant a lot of tomatoes as well as grow tomatoes year round indoors.  Since most of a tomato plant's root are in the top six inches of soil I like to plant in a trench at an angle rather than a deep hole.  This keeps the roots growing near the surface warm and creates a stronger root system for the plant.  I add 2 - 3 tbsp epsom salts to the trench when planting the tomatoes then sprinkle 1 tbsp per foot of height around the base of the tomato plants every two weeks.  Epsoms salts provide magnesium and calcium for the plant resulting in better growth, fruit set, and less blossom end rot (BER). 

I use the square foot gardening method in raised beds for planting tomatoes outdoors so one plant per square foot.  I put the supports in when planting as they are easier to do when the plants are small.  Since my tomatoes are trained to grow up the supports slugs are not a problem.  I also protect my raised beds with a trim of copper tape around the perimeter of the beds to control slugs.

Happy Gardening!  

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these words of wisdom! We (actually, my wife) will be planting our tomato plants in our new garden this week, so this is very timely advice. We'll be trying the epsom salt trick, too.
    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi tahtimbo :) You are quite welcome and I hope you are rewarded with beautiful, juicy tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.