Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Daffodils are Budding

daffodils budding

Daffodils Budding
April 6, 2010

The daffodils and narcissus are up and just ready to break out in bloom.  This is our third spring here.  The careful culling and ripping out we have done to this point has paid off.   Several of the spring bulbs including the daffodils have started naturalizing so we have clumps both spreading and popping up where there were none.  If we stay here which right now is up in the air [we do have our house up for sale but have had second thoughts] I will be encouraging the naturalization process using a scattered bulb planting method in the fall.  This is a rather interesting method of planting.  What you do is grab a handful of bulbs then toss lightly in the air over the lawn.  When they land is where you plant them.  One of the best examples of this method is Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario.  It is a gorgeous display in spring!

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


2 comments:

  1. I have been completely smitten with daffs this year. My daff bloom is nearly over already... I was treated by a friend to a bag of mixed daffs last fall and they came up this year with some DOUBLES! What a lovely flower the double daffodil is. We have had a rather vicious April so far and some of the doubles couldn't hold their heads up any more after the snow, so I just cut them and enjoyed them in a vase inside. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie and thanks for visiting! There's just something about daffodils that make me smile :) Enjoying them indoors is always nice too. Hopefully your weather settles down a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.