Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Our Resident Bluejays

blue jays

We have a pair of resident bluejays that frequently visit a couple of times a day.  Their antics can be quite amusing!  I toss out unshelled peanuts for them to enjoy so if I haven't put the peanuts out by the time they arrive they will come close to the house and call to get my attention.  Once in awhile a squirrel tries to sneak a peanut but the bluejays are onto him.  They chase him away every time, poor guy. 

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


4 comments:

  1. i see very few bluejays, although they're all over the place, just not at MY place, i guess.

    we do, however, have a pair of cardinals that nest behind my garden each year! sassy little things! lol

    have a great day GG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from CMF spikes.
    I have mixed feelings on Blue Jays. A very pretty bird but oh so mean in nature. Great picture of them.

    My WW-NeptunePark link for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try tossing out a few peanuts Jaydee. Maybe that will attract them :)

    You have a great day too. I'll stop by your blog to see what you are upto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aunti E and thanks :) I can appreciate those feelings. Bluejays are very territorial birds but unlike the Brownheaded Cowbirds we get they don't hijack other bird nests or destroy the eggs. So I like them better than the cowbirds. Each has their own personality too with some being considerably more aggressive than others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.