Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to Grow Potatoes in Potato Planter Bag (3)

Once the potato foliage begins to die back the potatoes are ready for harvesting.  They can be harvested earlier as we do if you want the new, small potatoes.  Don't expect a huge yield of potatoes.  We grow mainly for the new potatoes and a bit of fresh eating, not for storage.  Potatoes routinely are on sale $7.99 for a 50 lb bag.  I can't grow enough for what we would need to store through the winter to warrant taking up that much garden space in a smaller garden meaning the garden space I have is better used for produce I cannot buy inexpensively.  By far the easiest way to harvest potatoes grown in containers is to simple tip the container over and pick out the potatoes.  Here is the final video in the series showing the potato harvest.




Happy Gardening!
Garden Gnome ©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.