Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Monday, March 22, 2010

Signs of Spring

March came in like a lamb this year which isn't much of a surprise given what a mild winter we had. I don't doubt that we are still in for a few days of nasty weather but those are getting less likely with March more than half over. The first day of spring was on March 20th. We've been experiencing above average temperatures with nice blue skies. The sun has been out doing it's magic so there are a lot of signs of spring!

maple tree budsMaple Tree Buds

The sap has been running in the maple bushes and our silver maple trees are budding but the others aren't yet. Once they start budding it really doesn't take them long to burst out in full foliage. The buds look gorgeous against the bright blue sky!

Maple trees are one of my all time favourite trees. We have four maple trees here that I really enjoy not only for the beautiful summer time shade but also for the nesting sites they provide for the numerous song birds. They are majestic, problem free trees. I know there are maple trees at the new house but not sure how many.

thymeThyme

I was quite pleased to see some of the herbs peeping through the dead growth. Most of my herbs will be transplanted to our new house. I don't cut back my herbs when winterizing my raised beds. The reason is the dead growth provides protection against soil erosion during the winter months. When I see the new spring growth then I trim back the herbs once the danger of frost has passed. Our average day last frost (ADLF) still a ways away yet just after the first week of May.

Folk lore has it that gardens area gardens should be planted by May 24 to have corn knee high by the fourth of July. I don't grow corn because it doesn't lend itself well to small gardens. However, I do plant according to the ADLF to get cold loving plants in the ground a couple of weeks before ADLF and warm loving plants a couple of weeks after last frost.

tulips sproutingTulips Coming Up

You just know spring is around the corner when tulips start poking through the ground. I can't wait to see their gorgeous colours. Don't they look beautiful poking through the ground? I spotted the bright green sprouts a couple of days ago. I was so excited so headed out to take a few pictures. There's just something about seen new growth after the winter months even if it wasn't a harsh winter.

Tulips, crocuses, hyacinths and daffodiles are very common garden plants in our area. Given that the owner of the house we are buying is a gardener I'm sure all of these plants will be in those gardens as well. It will be a lot of fun next spring discovering the wonders of a new garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.