Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Brief Garden Update

My gosh the weather has been somewhat strange here.  The past few weeks we have had blistering heat followed by almost daily thunderstorms.  I've battled a few insects the first few weeks of the garden but now it seems that pests have gone by the wayside replaced with weather conditions.  Other than that the garden is looking rather good!  So here is a brief update:

  • progress - Marketmore cucumbers are progressing nicely having picked 5 large ones so far.  I've picked two pickling cucumbers so far.  A couple of the Tiny Tim tomatoes are ripening almost ready for picking.  The herbs are excelling by leaps and bounds!  The new beds are looking wonderful.  Most of the container plants are growing nicely.  For the most part the garden has become almost eerily pest free not that I'm complaining but just an observation.  I've picked 3 zucchini so far and have harvested herbs for drying.
  • problems - Weather seems to be my major problem here.  It has been so hot that containers need watering as many as 3 times a day.  Then we've been faced with high heat and humidity during the morning followed by periods of strong, severe thunderstorms in the afternoon and evenings.  Part of the problem is the container plants are actually having a chance to dry out in the morning before the afternoon rains hit. 
Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.