Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The First of the Zucchini Summer Squash

zucchini summer squash
Zucchini Summer Squash
July 16, 2010

I picked the first of the zucchini a couple of days ago.  The zucchini is growing in a 5 gallon container.  It has been looking quite promising but it will be interesting to see how the zucchini performs overall in the container.  I don't know the variety of this zucchini as the tag was missing when I bought it.  So far the squash is a bit misshaped but that could be due to a lot of factors.  The largest of the squash was a little over 10 inches so that is just perfect size for sautéing the way we like them.  I like picking zucchini before it reaches the 10 - inch mark for best flavour and texture.  Picking at this size encourages more fruit usually resulting in being able to pick one squash daily. 

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


1 comment:

  1. I made a yummy zucchini casserole tonight, I'll be posting the recipe later in the week. Yours look tasty. I didn't grow any this year but got some delicious ones from the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.