Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Waterball Garden Update

waterball garden update
Waterball Garden Update
July 16, 2010

Last month I posted on setting up a waterball garden using polyacrylamide decorative gel.  The waterballs had a wonderful, whimsical look so I used them to set up three vases of cuttings.  The gel works well and I have no complaints as far as starting non-edible plant cuttings.  They are quite pretty at first.  Pictured to the right are the crystal balls fully hydrated, shimmery and quite appealing.  Pictured to the left is one of the vases planted with pothos cuttings.  Cuttings need suitable light for rooting.  Within a couple of weeks the waterballs started discolouring with signs of algae.  By the time good roots were forming the waterballs were not as aesthetically appealing as they could be.  I plant on planting the rooted cutting in soil then will clean the waterballs through a series of fresh water washes.  I will use them again for rooting but in all honesty I think the waterballs are better for short term, fresh plant use for centerpieces and decorative elements.  I do like that no watering is necessary during the rooting period though so while the waterballs don't keep their great crystal looks while rooting they are still rather useful.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.