Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Friday, July 16, 2010

My First Marketmore Cucumber

marketmore cucumber
First Marketmore Cucumber
(Cucumis sativus)
July 13, 2010

I picked the first Marketmore cucumber on Tuesday (July 13).  Marketmore matures in about 60 days.   produces a long 9 - 11 inch straight cucumber with white spines.  It is resistent to many cucumber diseases.  It's important to keep the cucumbers picked to prevent the seeds from maturing otherwise the vine will stop producing.

The cucumber came in just a little over 9½ - inches!  This is a beautiful looking cucumber if you ask me.  I've grown cucumbers in the past usually the seedless varieties and straight eights but neither performed the way this marketmore plant is performing.  I will certainly be saving seeds for next year.  The plant is loaded with cucumbers so it looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


2 comments:

  1. What a great looking cucumber. I bet it will taste delicious. There is nothing like home grown veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite tasty :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.