Neighbours talking over the garden gate has long been a tradition. They share gardening tips, complain about the weather and pests yet are ever eager to discuss their gardens. That is what I had in mind when creating this blog. So stop by my garden gate to find out the latest happenings in my garden.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
"All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child." ~ Madame Marie Curie"

Friday, July 09, 2010

The First of the Marketmore Cucumbers

marketmore cucumbers
Marketmore Cucumbers
July 7, 2010

The marketmore cucumber plant went in the herb bed along with the main garden planting in late May and early June.  It showed a few signs of transplant shock but all new growth has been quite healthy looking.  The lower leaves have a few brown spots possibly Alternaria leaf blight caused by Alternaria cucumerina fungus on them so I will spray with a milk solution which has anti-fungal properties.  The upper leaves are perfectly healthy looking so that is encouraging.  There are a lot of blooms and small cucumbers with the largest about 6 - inches long.  I'm looking forward to picking fresh cucumbers from the garden!  It looks like the first one will be ready for picking before the weekend.

Happy Gardening!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting. Your message will appear once approved.